Saturday, November 25, 2006

So Here We Are

We left behind our comfortable lives in Cairo this past August and began the transition to Baku, Azerbaijan. Rory and the cats arrived Baku at the end of August. I had to spend a couple months in the States before I could join them. Can you see the difference between private industry and government? Private industry can't fathom the idea of an employee sitting idle for two months while the paperwork gets done; government thinks that is a completely normal course of events.

Rory, with a two month headstart, has more or less settled in to his new apartment and office. He received his vehicle a few weeks ago and it feels great to be driving again. I'm still waiting for all my shipments to arrive and still feel like I'm living out of suitcases. It doesn't help that I don't like my apartment. We both receive housing through our employers. We're giving it a few months and then we'll choose which one we like best and attempt to combine households. I plan to appeal my housing assignment and try to move to the same building as Rory.

Rory has been in London and Johannesburg for the past two weeks, and I can't wait for him to return. Yes, I miss him for sure. But I really want to hear about all the wedding venues he checked out while in Joburg. He says he took tons of pictures (Rory? taking pictures?) and I'm looking forward to hearing all the details. We'll be firming up a wedding date in the next couple weeks, and wedding planning is about to become the priority finally.

What's Baku like? We'll fill you in as we learn our way around. For now, I'll leave you with a couple pictures.





Here's Rory standing above an oil pond with oil derricks in the background. We are on the edge of the Caspian Sea. This standing oil is a common occurrence. The coastline of Azerbaijan is one of the most polluted places in the world.



This is the city view from Rory's apartment. That's the Caspian Sea for any who doesn't remember their 7th grade geography.



A closer view showing the living conditions for many of Baku's citizens. We recognize how lucky we are to be living a life of luxury compared to many of the people of the world. We have much to be thankful for this Thanksgiving.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Chris, Remember, it's not permanent (Baku that is, not Rory). And I'm sure that turkey was worth every bit of $140+; probably an organic bird, hand fed little bits of organically grown corn, irrigated by the fresh waters of the Caspian, by little Azerbajani farm children...
Looking forward to hearing more of your adventures.

Tonya Ricucci said...

Holy cow. $145 for a turkey? And that's without all the trimmings. Better have been one heck of a turkey. Tom reminds me that my Thanksgiving dinner probably cost about $3. The entire day, I managed to eat some crackers, applesauce and jello...

Pools of standing oil? Bleck. Pretty view though, while it lasts.

Unknown said...

This is a great idea Chris, we never get to hear all of the interesting details of life overseas when you come back (Cinema talk usually interupts)